How do I cut a shape out of another shape in Illustrator?
Select both shapes using the “Selection Tool”. With both shapes selected, go to the “Pathfinder Tool” (displayed below in red). Select the “Minus Front” selection (displayed below in green). Your bottom shape should now have a cutout of the top shape.
How do you punch a hole in a shape in Illustrator?
- Place the object that you’ll be using to make a hole in front of the object in which you want to cut the hole.
- Select both objects with any selection tool.
- Choose Object→Compound Path→Make. Where the paths overlap, you get a see-through area — you know, a hole.
How do you trim overlapping in Illustrator?
Select the clipping path and the objects you want to mask. Choose Object > Clipping Mask > Make. Note: To create a clipping path from the area where two or more objects overlap, group the objects first.
How do I cut a shape out of another shape in Photoshop?
Select the Magic Wand tool from the toolbox and then left-click the object that you want to cut out. This creates a selection around the area that you have clicked. Hold down “Shift” and click an adjacent section of the object if the entire object was not covered by the selection.
How do I cut a shape out of another shape in InDesign?
The Scissors tool can also be used to split shapes:
- Select the shape with the Selection tool.
- Click the Scissors tool in the toolbar.
- Move the Scissors tool to the place you want to cut. …
- Click directly on the stroke of the shape.
- Move to a different position on the shape and click directly on the stroke of the shape.
How do you subtract a shape from another shape in Photoshop?
go to the top menu: Layer > Combine Shapes > Subtract Front Shape.
How do you draw a hole in a vector shape?
- Make the top shape (AKA the “Hole”) as a vector object then flatten it.
- Then use the Magic Selection tool to select the flattened “Hole” shape.
- Next Invert the Selection ( Ctrl + Shift + I ).
- With your selection inverted, click on the Base Layer that should have the “Hole” in it.
What happens to overlapping shapes when you select the Shape Builder tool?
Select the Shape Builder tool and then click and drag across the selected shapes, as shown on the left in this figure. The selected shapes are combined into one shape, as shown on the right in figure. The Shape Builder tool also enables merging objects, breaking overlapping shapes, subtracting areas, and more.
How do I exclude overlapping shapes in Photoshop?
Select the Rectangle Tool.
- In the Control Bar you want Shapes and Create New Shape Layer selected:
- Now click the Subtract from Shape option in the Control Bar:
- Now click the Exclude Overlapping Shape Areas option in the Control Bar:
How do I select two overlapping paths in Illustrator?
Select your text, then hold down shift and select the shape behind it. 2. Hold down alt, then click the intersect button. Voila!
How do you overlap layers in Illustrator?
To merge items into a single layer or group, hold down Ctrl (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) and click the names of the layers or groups that you want to merge. Alternatively, hold down Shift to select all listings in between the layer or group names you click. Then, select Merge Selected from the Layers panel menu.