How do you apply a mask in Illustrator?
Use the Selection tool to select the placed image and the shape. Shift-click to add an object to the selection. Choose Object→Clipping Mask→Make. Alternatively, you can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+7 (Windows) or cmd+7 (Mac) to create the clipping mask.
What is the use of the mask in illustration?
A mask is a vector shape that you use to hide parts of other content. The shape that is to become the mask must be on top of the content that you mask.
What does mask mean in Illustrator?
Called Clipping Paths in Illustrator, masks are shapes that are used to hide areas of color or images. The portion of color or image that lies within the shape of the mask is visible. Designers create masks to clip images and insert images inside text. The benefit of masks is that they are non-destructive.
How do I make a transparency mask in Illustrator?
Create an opacity mask
- Select a single object or group, or target a layer in the Layers panel.
- Open the Transparency panel and, if necessary, choose Show Options from the panel menu to see the thumbnail images.
- Double-click directly to the right of the thumbnail in the Transparency panel.
Why is clipping mask not working illustrator?
You need a single path to create a clipping mask. You can’t use a group of objects or objects with effects etc (the effects would be disregarded anyway). Simple fix: Select all of your circles and create a compound path (Object → Compound Path → Make or Ctrl / cmd + 8 ).
How do I mask an image?
Add layer masks
- Make sure that no part of your image is selected. Choose Select > Deselect.
- In the Layers panel, select the layer or group.
- Do one of the following: To create a mask that reveals the entire layer, click the Add Layer Mask button in the Layers panel, or choose Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal All.